Friday 11 September 2009

9/11 - Do you feel safe in 2009?



Out of respect for the readers on the other side of the water, I'm putting my serious head on for today, and am asking the question on whether you feel safe in 2009, following the events and fall out since that fateful day 8 years ago.

Everyone can remember what they were doing 8 years ago, on the 11th September, it was mid afternoon in the UK, and I recall being at my then girlfriend's house, hearing that a plane had crashed into a tower, and believing it to be in this country, until I saw the footage of what had happened.

It was at that point that the second tower was hit, and the disaster that soon followed was clear for all to see, and distressing to say the least.

This was the first time that national security had been breached in the US, and all of a sudden the world was no longer a safe place to live in.

Since then, we had 7/7 in London, where bombs went off in the capital in a terror attack, and other cities became under attack too.

We are now in 2009, and the question I'm asking is do you feel safe in 2009?

The war in Afghanistan continues but still no resolution is apparent, and soldiers continue to lose their lives in what has become a 'bloody war', which in my opinion should have been over a long time ago.

I myself feel safe in my country as far as terrorist attacks, but that's not to say you don't look over your shoulder at times, or question what people are doing when it looks a bit strange.

What do you think, do you feel safe in your country?

5 comments:

  1. jeff, i remember well i was laying in bed watching the morning news. thought it was strange no one knew at that time what was happening, then the other tower building got hit, big wake up call. feel safe? of course it is my birthday after all, only afraid of exploding candles on the cake. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice post and question. I live only an hour from NYC and that afternoon it was a feeling of fear all around us. Feeling safe has a huge cost sometimes and this cost could be losing some of our freedoms and rights we cherish in this country. We have lost so many of them since 9-11 and the question is how much do we give up to feel "safe"? In an ironic twist, I think giving up our freedom is in a way letting the terrorist win.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im sorry. Thats the first thing I feel.
    Do I feel safe? NO.
    With each passing day I feel more unsafe then I did the day before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a result of what happened that day, some people will never feel safe. But, then again, not feeling completely safe is part of life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel safe. Maybe due to my being a veteran with 3 tours (Kosovo, Afghanistan, Iraq) behind me does that. The real threat isn't from afar. They have already succeeded in driving fear into our hearts. Our own news networks and government will take care of the rest of us who fear not.

    ReplyDelete